Narrow your search
- Is the community in a town or community that you like or have heard good things about?
- Is the location convenient for family and friends to visit?
- Is the area safe, with a low crime rate?
- Is it a well-respected company you trust?
Next, narrow by community
- What level of care is right for you? Our friendly sales representative can help you determine if independent or assisted living makes more sense for your situation.
- Is the community close to shopping, restaurants, a medical center, and other services?
- Are there other levels of care available, such as assisted living, should you need it?
- What are your must haves in a community?
Ask preliminary questions when you call
- What services and amenities are included in the price?
- What services are available for additional fees?
- What types of payment do you accept?
- Do you have any programs to help with the transition process?
About the community
- Is the neighborhood quiet and pleasant?
- Is covered parking available, and is it free or is there an additional charge?
- Is there easy access to public transportation? Is transportation provided?
- Are the buildings and grounds clean, spacious, and well maintained?
- Are the common spaces in the community pleasant and appealing?
- How many rooms are available where you can visit with other residents and with visiting family members?
- How extensive are the outdoor areas for recreation, exercise, and visiting?
About the apartment units and fees
- Do the accommodations include a wide range of housing options, including smaller apartments or studios should you wish to downsize?
- Are there handicapped-equipped units, should you need one at some point?
- Is there adequate storage space in the unit, or is additional storage provided?
- Are dogs, cats, and other pets allowed and, if so, are there limits on type or size?
- Will you be allowed to have visitors at any time and overnight, or are there curfews or other rules?
- Will you be required to have renter’s insurance?
- Are housekeeping services available, and at what price?
- Which maintenance issues are you responsible for and which are included with the unit?
- Are the fees transparent and easy to understand or is there an ala cart price structure?
- Is there a meal plan, and how flexible is it? If so, what are the dining facilities like?
- Are the leases month to month or do you have to sign for a whole year?
About food, activities and social life
- Will your visiting family members be invited to join you for meals?
- Is there an extensive, varied schedule of classes and activities, including some that interest you?
- Are there evening events, such as movie nights and performances by local theater, dance, and music groups?
- Is there a gym or fitness center?
- What types of additional recreation facilities are offered?
- Is there a private dining or community room available for family and other large events?
- Are there religious services in the community or nearby?
- Is there a barbershop and beauty salon in the community or nearby?
About community staff
- Are the staff friendly and do they make you feel welcome?
- Is there an activity director or staff members charged with organizing and leading activities?
- Does the community provide in-home care companions in case you need assistance in the future?
- Is there an RN, LVN, or CNA on staff?
Have additional questions? Contact us today!