Samaritas provides an in home service to families in need of assistance through the Families First Program. Families First workers will assist families within their home to meet specific goals to reduce the risk to the children. The majority of referrals to the Families First program come from Child Protective Services. Families First referrals can also be received from specific domestic violence shelters and non-profit agencies dealing with post-adoption, reunification and tribal populations.
Serving Calhoun, Kent, Barry, Ionia, Eaton and Wayne Counties
Families First of Michigan (FFM) works with families who are at risk of having their children removed from the home and placed in foster care. Services focus on creating specific plans to increase safety, making community connections, increasing natural supports, and teaching a variety of skills. Families First is a voluntary program that provides intense services to quickly stabilize and preserve the family. Families First is a program that helps keep families together.
For 4 weeks, a trained Families First worker will meet with a family in their home, at a time that is convenient for them. The Families First worker will spend 10-15 hours a week with the family.
Together with the family, they will focus on solutions, in order to address risks.
Families First Rights
Families First believes that parents and their children have rights that must be respected and expectations that should be met.
- Each family has the right to be treated with respect and dignity.
- Each family member will be asked what kind of help and services the family needs.
- The Families First worker will work with the family on setting goals and accomplishing them.
- Families First believes parents should be supported in their efforts to care for their children.
- Families First will make every effort to help families care for their children in their home.